Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Day 7 (part 3)

Cruising Tracy Arm

Hard to believe, but all that Juneau activity was before lunch.  By 1:15, we were back on the ship and moving along.

We really enjoyed sitting on the aft deck watching for whales.  We're traveling up Tracy Arm, on our way to view Sawyer Glacier.  I can't wait.

Ron spotted some whales in the distance.  I always claim that between us, we make one good person - he can see and I can hear.  Needless to say, I didn't spot any whales.

But even I could see the eagles sitting on this iceberg.

As we traveled farther up the fjord, we moved to the observation lounge and settled into some comfy seats inside. Gosh, those people look cold.

But soon I was right out there and snapping pictures over the heads of my fellow passengers.

Unfortunately, the sun disappeared and the sky turned that non-photogenic shade of blah.  But the reality was breathtaking.

We weren't the only cruise ship on this route.

I was loving all the ice.

This harbor seal and her pup were just specks in the distance, but with the help of another passenger I zoomed in on them.

Okay here it comes!  Sawyer Glacier!  I see it!

And it's HUGE!

Then for the bad news.  This is where the ship turned around.  And this is my major disappointment for the whole trip.  My bucket list item was to see a glacier calve.  That didn't happen.  Bummer.

So here's my tip.  If you're considering an Alaskan cruise, be sure they go to Glacier Bay.  The northbound tour did that.  I spoke to a passenger who was doing the round trip and she said it was fantastic.  Silly me, I assumed (and we all know what that means) that Sawyer Glacier would be the same kind of experience.  Live and learn.

Bur I still loved all the icebergs.

And I loved our room.  Here's Ron checking out the scenery outside our window.

And finally we come to the end of day 7.

3 comments:

  1. It's nice to have all that daylight in the summer so you can fit so much into one 24 hour period! :c)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't the 7th day a day to rest? Boy ya'll didn't! Wonderful photos--I love that blue ice and critters were a nice bonus and what a huge glacier!!!Sorry you didn't get to see any fall but who says you cant do another trip?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you didn't get to see a glacier calve ... it really is spectacular ... when the ice cooperates ;-) Looks like the water going into the fjord was choked with ice ... not a good combination with modern cruiseliners ;-) Love the eagles on the berg.

    ReplyDelete